Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Reservation (Not A) Joke - 4

The following is reportedly a copy of the post on IIT Kharagpur's bulletin board.

Message:
They made me feel low.

I belong to OBC class. I am from a place where discrimination based on caste was very common. I grew hearing I am inferior because I am from back ward class. I had regretted in my childhood why was I born in backward class.

When my friends used to tease me on my caste my ma (mother) used to tell me only way to make you friends mouth shut is to study well and top in the class. I took this idea seriously and channelized my frustration towards my studies. There was a big change in me I started working very hard and transformed me from a poor performer of the class to the district 2nd topper of X exam 1996 supaul. After that performance also some of my racist friends disparaged my success by saying, I must have some connection with the govt of Bihar. Since the then cm of Bihar belongs to my caste. I was very disappointed not by the disparagement by my friends but by thinking why I belonged to my class.

Then I started preparing very hard to prove that my performance of X was genuine. I worked real hard and got through IIT JEE 2000. I got a place in B-Tech chemical engg at IIT KGP. I was apprehensive about-facing the same experience here also. But I was surprised when no body asked me my caste there. I was surprised from the environment there. No body really cared which cast I belonged to. No body at iit ever care from which religion or which cast one belongs to. Feeling of equality was for the first time felt by me there. I feel no place on the earth will be as secular and as racism free as iit

Slowly my feeling of inferiority because of my class started fading away. I started believing in equality of human. I started loving people not based on their cast but based on their ideas. I forgot all the discrimination. I feel proud of living in such a great environment. This place not only made me grow technically but also socially. I am real secular I dont only say it but also feel it.

But when one start feeling good about something in life god takes it away. Before this announcement of reservations I had started believing that India is growing not only economically but also socially.

I was feeling freedom from boundaries of caste and creed. But suddenly our leaders asked me to feel that I am a backward. They made me remember my childhood days. Now it has become difficult for me to feel same as I felt before this announcement.

I am really worried for my alma mater. I feel our leaders are going to spoil the haven on earth for their own benefit. I would like to suggest one thing if all the leaders will be sent to iits then only they can know the real meaning of secularism what they keep on trumpeting around. I will not mind if some of the seats of iit will be given to our leaders to make them understand the real meaning of secularism.

But now I am sure once they make reservations mandatory for admissions in institutes it will replace the equality with the hatred and discrimination.

I urge our leaders dont do this to us. Our generation has changed. Please dont separate us on the basis of our birth. Over which no one has any control. We have started believing in equality, hard work and dedication for success. Please dont break our faith.

It will really spoil the unity of our nation. Please let the new generation of India live in a world where ideas matter not the birth class.

I am not against OBCs, I am against reservation.

No comments: