Thursday, April 10, 2008

Gtalk and Winamp 5.5 Incompatibility

Now this is one stuff I never expected. Two of the most loved (and free) apps incompatible with each other. I have not been using Winamp for a while now - ever since I lost all my songs in a HD crash. Anyway, just downloaded Winamp 5.5 yesterday, started playing Shanghai Breezes by John Denver and clicked on "Show current music track" in Gtalk and forgot about it. A while later, I noticed Gtalk has frozen. Initially, I thought it has something to do with Azureus. I mean who would think Winamp would cause a problem! (?) Finally figured that out. I knew the old versions worked like a breeze so the first option was to install an older one but why give up so easy. Googled for it came across Winamp Forum. I'll leave out the technical stuff and come to the point. To fix the problem you can either use the old version or if you want to use v5.5, open notepad and save it with the name "winamp.m3u" in the winamp directory.

Of course, there's a roundabout way of installing an old version and then just upgrading to v5.5 but what that does is still the same I guess - retain the .m3u file in the directory.

No comments: